The Work Health and Safety Act 2011 outlines the requirements of an RTO in establishing and maintaining workplace health and safety standards. The requirements of an RTO as specified in the above mentioned Act are to:
Secure the health, safety and welfare of employees and other persons at work.
- Eliminate, at the source, risks to health, safety or welfare of employees and other persons at
- Ensure that the health and safety of members of the public is not placed at risk by the conduct of undertakings by employers and self-employed
- Provide for the involvement of employees, employers, and organisations representing those persons, in the formulation and implementation of health, safety and welfare
FiT has initiated procedures, policies, guidelines and work instructions, practicing an ongoing commitment to workplace health and safety including each site used for training delivery.
The following presents a strategic overview of FiT’s safety system and provides guidance for meeting the requirements of Work Health and Safety Act on FiT’s premises thereby ensuring a high standard of workplace health and safety at all times.
It is an obligation under legislation that all FiT employees and management contribute to and assist in maintaining workplace health and safety and risk management operations as part of their role within the RTO. FiT management is responsible for providing the following standards as part of its commitment to employees and clients:
- A safe workplace, with a safe system of work.
- Adequate workplace health and safety professional development for FiT students, employees, management and stakeholders.
- Properly maintained facilities and equipment.
- A clean, tidy, suitably designed workplace with the safe storage of goods.
The following procedures and standards are observed by FiT to achieve a safe working and learning environment:
- Maintain a safe, clean and efficient working environment.
- Evacuation plan (fire, bomb, major incident).
- Emergency control.
- Accident / incident reporting.
- Risk identification reporting.
- PPE / chemicals (storage).
- Manual handling techniques and training.
- Store and dispose of waste according to WHS regulations.
- Equipment checks and maintenance.
- Equipment safe storage.
- Fire hazards identified and fire prevention.
- Student safety.
- Unsafe situations identified and reporting.
- First aid and safety procedures displayed, for all FiT staff and students to see.